This page contains financial information for students visiting the University of Chicago during Summer Quarter. Current UChicago students enrolled in degree-granting programs should refer to this page for information about participating in the Summer Language Institute.
Tuition and fee information varies based on the category of the course:
Intensive Modern Language Courses: $7,600*
*Estimates for 2019; costs may change slightly.
These costs cover tuition for the course, as well as all required fees. The fees give each student access to all University of Chicago facilities and the privileges of regular academic year students, including:
- Student Health Services
- All libraries and athletic facilities
- Arts Pass benefits and student discounts in the city of Chicago
- Unlimited lifetime transcript requests at no additional charge
The tuition and fees charges listed do not include room and board or health insurance. For information on housing options, please see the Housing and Dining page. For health insurance information, please see the Billing & Policies section.
Current UChicago Students
Current UChicago students are generally subject to the tuition rates and policies set by their home units. They should consult this page, as well as their advisers or program administrators, for more details on enrolling in Summer Language Institute courses.
Summer Language Institute MA Scholarships
Information on and application for scholarships for current and incoming UChicago MA students is found at summerlanguages.uchicago.edu/page/summer-language-scholarship.
The Summer Language Institute has a limited amount of financial aid to help defray the cost of attendance for some visiting students who demonstrate financial need. To be considered for these need-based financial aid awards, all application materials and financial aid form must be completed in your application status page.
Funds are limited. We will continue accepting financial aid applications and making awards while our aid funds remain. We encourage all visiting student applicants who wish to be considered for aid to submit their aid application materials at the earliest date they are able.
The financial aid form for visiting students is completed online through the application status portal. Students will be asked to provide financial information, such as household income and expenses, on the Supplement page of their application. If you have any questions about what to provide, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will review all aid applications received by the priority aid deadline of March 19, 2019. Please note that we anticipate only being able to make aid offers to a portion of financial aid applicants.
Graduate students applying for certain programs may also be eligible to apply for a Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship. Please visit the linked page for additional details.
- A $1,000 non-refundable enrollment deposit is due upon acceptance of admission to confirm the applicant's acceptance and place in the program.
- For students in on-campus housing, a $500 initial housing payment is due by May 21, 2019.
- These payments will be applied toward the total billed amount and will be reflected on the bill generated by the UChicago Bursar's Office.
- The Bursar will delivery bills electronically to students' accounts in late June, with full payment due in mid-July.
- All students who are enrolled in the Summer Language Institute program will be covered by a "blanket" accident, injury, and sickness insurance policy. The cost for this policy is included in the Tuition and Fees charges listed for each course. This policy will provide cost protection for any health issues that arrise which arise beyond the primary and preventive care which is availabe to students via Student Health Services.
- Students are also required by the State of Illinois to meet immunization requirements and to submit documentation from a health provider as proof of immunity. Details of the requirements are available through the Student Health and Counseling Services website.
- Please see the Policies page for other issues related to University policies and billing.