Students in the College
UChicago College students should NOT submit an application through the SLI admissions system.
Language courses available on campus this summer may be viewed by selecting the languages linked on the left side of the page, or on the SLI homepage. Students in the College should consult with their Advisors in the College Advising office about their plans to enroll in the Summer Language Institute. Registration for students in the College occurs through my.uchicago.edu. In order to register, students should:
- log in to their account at my.uchicago.edu
- select the Academics tab at the top
- hover over Classes and Registration, and
- select Summer Activation Request
- After requesting Summer Activation, students may register as they usually would in my.uchicago.edu
If you have any difficulties with this process, please use these screenshots of each step for assistance.
After April 12, 2019, students should contact the Summer Language Institute for consent to register. We encourage students to register early to ensure that spots are available. Please note that students registering for 300-level courses cannot register for any other courses during the summer.
2019 rates for Summer Language Institute tuition charges and aid amounts are:
|College Tuition rate|
Students in the College may also be eligible to apply for Pell Grants or Stafford loans for assistance with the balance of the tuition charges. For further information about those funding sources, please contact the Office of Financial Aid. Due to the availability of a special financial aid benefit for students in the Summer Language Institute, the College's Summer Scholarship program is NOT available for language courses.
Students in the College will also be charged the Summer Student Life Fee. The fee was $376 in Summer 2018.
A limited number of rooms are available in the Campus North Residential Commons during the Summer Quarter, and a designated summer dining hall will be open for students living on campus. Students who are interested in on-campus housing and dining may apply for space in Campus North by completing the Summer Session Housing Application (link will be active soon).
Please note that the drop and withdrawal policy that applies to students in the College registering for Summer Language Institute courses:
All students must file official withdrawal requests with the Summer Language Institute via email if they decide not to attend. Verbally informing an instructor that you are withdrawing or failing to attend classes does not constitute an official withdrawal. Students are still responsible for tuition and all other charges if they have not officially withdrawn. Approval of any withdrawal, including the date on which the withdrawal takes effect, must be certified by the Summer Language Institute.
- Students dropping a Summer Language Institute course are eligible for a 100% tuition refund through the second day of a class. For courses dropped after the second day of class, refund amounts will decrease according to the schedule below.
- All days refer to the class meeting days and not calendar days. For example, the second day of class for a class that meets on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays would be the Wednesday of the first week.
- Drop requests must be submitted by the end of business on the day the student wishes to drop: e.g., a student wishing to drop and receive a 100% tuition refund must submit the drop request no later than 5pm CDT on the second day of class.
Students in the College requesting drops by email to the Summer Language Institute before 5:00pm on the following days of a course will receive tuition refunds in the amounts below:
- 2nd day: 100% refund
- 4th day: 65% refund
- 5th day: 50% refund
- 8th day: 30% refund
- 9th day and after: No refund, “W” appears on transcript