The Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship program is administered by the federal government for American graduate students who are concentrating in a modern foreign language and a program that includes international or area studies. University of Chicago students apply for these fellowships through UChicagoGrad and their area Dean of Students offices. Priority for FLAS fellowships is given to UChicago students, but applications from visiting graduate students are considered carefully. The deadline for the 2017 FLAS applications is February 13, 2017. Details on the application process can be found on the UChicagoGrad website.
The FLAS tuition award is $5,000; the University of Chicago has agreed to accept the current summer FLAS award amount as tuition for a full modern language sequence during the Summer Session. The FLAS award covers course tuition and the Student Life Fee. Additional expenses, such as housing, dining, and other fees (e.g., health insurance, unless comparable coverage is documented by the deadline) are the student’s responsibility. FLAS provides a $2500 stipend to cover such expenses.
The following courses meet FLAS requirements for length and minimum contact hours:
- Summer Intensive Arabic Level 2
- Summer Intensive Introductory Aymara
- Summer Intensive Introductory Chinese
- Summer Intensive Elementary Japanese
- Summer Intensive Introductory Korean
- Summer Intensive Intermediate Persian
- Accelerated Portuguese for Speakers of Romance Languages
- Summer Intensive Intermediate Turkish